Compass: Catholic Family Camping Weekend | 27-29 October 2023
Start Date: Friday 27 October, 2023
End Date: Sunday 29 October, 2023
Time: 4pm Friday – 3pm Sunday
Venue: Guntawang Catholic Youth Centre
Cost: $30 per adult or $70 per family (regardless of size)
Coming out of the World Meeting of Families last year, the Office of Renewal and Evangelisation is really excited to be running the Compass: Catholic Family Camping Weekend on 27–29 October 2023 at Guntawang Catholic Youth Centre, Sheehys Creek Road, Oakdale (15 minutes from Picton).
The weekend is designed to unite families of every age, including couples with or without children, single parents with their children, and grandparents, all to celebrate the incredible gift of family life.
Mark your calendars now for a wonderful chance to bring families from all over the Diocese together in a laid-back setting to connect and enjoy shared meals, games, music, prayer, and Mass together. To avoid missing out on this incredible opportunity, contact us now to secure your spot.
This is a beautiful campsite, with plenty of space for families to set up a tent, caravan, camper trailer or swags. These are unpowered and unwatered sites, but drinking water is available on site. All rubbish and wastewater must be collected and disposed of thoughtfully. There are no pets allowed on this site.
Bunk rooms: There is an option to register spots for separate male or female bunk rooms which will be allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. Parents/guardians who select this option, must have a guardian staying with their children in these rooms, as there will be adults and children of all ages potentially in each bunk room. Children are not to be left alone in the bunk rooms or other accommodation on site at any time during the event.
TOILETS AND SHOWERS
There is a male/female toilet block for campers and a toilet in each of the bunkhouses. There are only 4 showers – but plenty of hot water, so we will get a family roster happening for their use.
SUPERVISION OF CHILDREN
- Parents/legal guardians of children in attendance at the event are responsible for the safety and care of their children at all times. Please note there are two ropes courses on site that are the property of the Department of Education and are not to be used by campers.
- It is the responsibility of parents/guardians to provide supervision of their children, including in their selected accommodation option.
- Children are not to be left alone in any accommodation, or other rooms at any time during the event.
- If a parent/legal guardian has a safety or wellbeing concern about a child or adult participant, it is their responsibility to immediately report the concern to the event organiser and onsite event coordinator, Jude Hennessy.
FOOD AND COOKING FACILITIES
This is a self-catered weekend, so families need to plan their own meals. There is a camp kitchen and eating area with access to the following.
- Gas cooktops
- Hot water
- Small Gas Fridge for basics (so bring your own esky/ice)
- We have options for an indoor or outdoor fire (weather permitting), with plenty of firewood on site – so camp oven cooking is another option.
- NB: Responsible consumption of alcohol is permitted.
There is plenty of space for fun and games such as;
- Touch footy
- Bocce / Finska
- Board games
- Music – campfire singalong (Bring an instrument if you play)
- Mass in a beautiful bush chapel on Sunday
WHAT TO BRING
- All your own food and drinks/cooking and eating utensils etc.
- Toiletries/towels etc.
- This is a bush setting, so sturdy enclosed shoes are recommended.
- It is heading into summer, but still potentially cold overnight, so be ready for anything – including rain, when packing clothes
- Some sporting gear will be provided, but you may have a game you wish to bring and include others in
- Basic first aid supplies will be on site – but families should make some provision for this
- Camp chairs/rug
No pets are allowed on this campsite.
$30 per adult or $70 per family (regardless of size)
For more information or to help with the organisation of the weekend, please contact Jude Hennessy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 02 4222 2403